Saturday, April 27, 2013

The fallacy that rare = unimportant


Before I forget, can we dispel one more myth, namely, that rare does not imply unimportant?  Let me explain what I mean.

Suppose I said that in the event someone is accused of a crime, that person deserves the benefit of the doubt from society rather than a rush to conclusions about the accused being guilty by default.  I say this for a myriad of reasons, but one of the most important ones is that alas! the allegation may be false.  (I realize that people will assume that the falsely accused is male, and the falsely accused man is an MHRA issue, but anyone may be falsely accused, male or female.  Just saying this for the record...)  To which the standard feminist response is "False accusations are rare," to which my response is "So?"

So just because someone is falsely accused, the statement that false accusations are rare renders our discussion on false accusations unimportant?  Like, wow... just wow.  And my reaction is identical when the issue of the male victim of sexual violence is brought up and a feminist is like "sexual violence against men is rare".  Gee, I thought that in the event a problem is rare, it means the victims of that problem are falling through the cracks of society and that we should help them -- but apparently that line of thinking is wrong if you're a feminist.  Thank you Ms. Feminist for enlightening me!

(/sarcasm)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Feminists have no shame.

No comments: